The Sāmoan alphabet constists of these letters
Sāmoan written Alphabet: A E F G I L M N O P S T U V (K H R are additonal)
Vowels in Sāmoan language
- A (ʻA A ʻĀ Ā) - pronounced (ˈä) AAh, like "AAh"
- E (ʻE E ʻĒ Ē) - pronounced (ˈe) Eh, like net
- I (ʻI I ʻĪ Ī) - pronounced (ē) EE, like see
- O (ʻO O ʻŌ Ō) - pronounced (ō) oh, like "Oh"
- U (ʻU U ʻŪ Ū) - pronounced (u̇(ə)) oo, like oops
- A glottal stop and/or macron indicate short, normal, long sound and/or a brief pause in the sound of each vowel).
Consonants in Sāmoan language
F G L M N P S T V
Camparison of consonant letters of Sāmoan language to languages of other Polynesian cultures
- Sāmoa s or f = Aotearoa (Māori) h = Hawaiʻi h = Marquesas h = Tahiti h = Tonga h
- Sāmoa g = Aotearoa (Māori) ng = Hawaiʻi n = Marquesas k = Tahiti = Tonga g
- Sāmoa l = Aotearoa (Māori) r = Hawaiʻi l = Marquesas = Tahiti r = Tonga l
- Sāmoa t = Aotearoa (Māori) t = Hawaiʻi k = Marquesas = Tahiti t = Tonga t
- Sāmoa v = Aotearoa (Māori) w = Hawaiʻi w = Marquesas v = Tahiti v = Tonga v
- Sāmoa f = Aotearoa (Māori) wh = Hawaiʻi h = Marquesas f or h = Tahiti h or f = Tonga f
The letter K in Sāmoan language
The letter K is a consonant than notes the use of the "K" style of Samoan language and/or used for words introduced with translation from other languages.
Additional Consonants in Sāmoan language
Additional consonants (introduced with translation)
Some English letters informally are translated to Sāmoan Language with the use of additional consonants and rarely with vowels.
- English b = Sāmoan p
- English c = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English d = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English d = Sāmoan t/k
- English g = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English j = Sāmoan s or i