Pasefika Māori and Polynesian Dictionary
Māori to English Dictionary
|Paper mulberry||Aute||Uʻa||Wauke||Hiapo||Aute||Broussonetia papyrifera|
English to Polynesian Dictionary
Sāmoan to English Dictionary
Hawaiʻian to English Dictionary
Tongan to English Dictionary
Tahitian to English Dictionary
Welcome to the Pasefika Polynesian Dictionary. This dictionary is meant to be a comparative dictionary to quickly view similarities, differences and cognate relationships between words across Polynesian languages. The dictionary includes a format that will display english to polynesian translation into words from Sāmoan, Hawaiʻian, Tongan, Māori, and Tahitian languages.
Most knowledge in Polynesia was communicated and passed on through language, legends, and songs.
The Sāmoan alphabet constists of these letters
Sāmoan written Alphabet: A E F G I L M N O P S T U V (K H R are additonal)
Vowels in Sāmoan language
- A (ʻA A ʻĀ Ā) - pronounced (ˈä) AAh, like "AAh"
- E (ʻE E ʻĒ Ē) - pronounced (ˈe) Eh, like net
- I (ʻI I ʻĪ Ī) - pronounced (ē) EE, like see
- O (ʻO O ʻŌ Ō) - pronounced (ō) oh, like "Oh"
- U (ʻU U ʻŪ Ū) - pronounced (u̇(ə)) oo, like oops
- A glottal stop and/or macron indicate short, normal, long sound and/or a brief pause in the sound of each vowel).
A glottal stop and/or macron indicate short, normal, long sound and/or a brief pause in the sound of each vowel).
Consonants in Sāmoan language
F G L M N P S T V
Comparison of consonant letters of Sāmoan language to languages of other Polynesian cultures
- Sāmoa s or f = Aotearoa (Māori) h = Hawaiʻi h = Marquesas h = Tahiti h = Tonga h
- Sāmoa g = Aotearoa (Māori) ng = Hawaiʻi n = Marquesas k = Tahiti = Tonga g
- Sāmoa l = Aotearoa (Māori) r = Hawaiʻi l = Marquesas = Tahiti r = Tonga l
- Sāmoa t = Aotearoa (Māori) t = Hawaiʻi k = Marquesas = Tahiti t = Tonga t
- Sāmoa v = Aotearoa (Māori) w = Hawaiʻi w = Marquesas v = Tahiti v = Tonga v
- Sāmoa f = Aotearoa (Māori) wh = Hawaiʻi h = Marquesas f or h = Tahiti h or f = Tonga f
The letter K in Sāmoan language
The letter K is a consonant than notes the use of the "K" style of Samoan language and/or used for words introduced with translation from other languages.
Additional Consonants in Sāmoan language
Additional consonants (introduced with translation)
Some English letters informally are translated to Sāmoan Language with the use of additional consonants and rarely with vowels.
- English b = Sāmoan p
- English c = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English d = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English d = Sāmoan t/k
- English g = Sāmoan t/k or s
- English j = Sāmoan s or i
In studies of linguistics, Sāmoan language has been catagoriezed within the Austronesian family of languages.
- Central Pacific